Characterizing Parasitic Components in Power ConvertersOctober 01, 2023 by Rohde & Schwarz
- What Are Parasitics?
- How Do Parasitics Affect the Design of A Dc-Dc Converter?
- Parasitics in Passive Components – A Breakdown
- Simulation versus Results
- Methods for Measuring Parasitics
- Demo: Characterizing the Behavior of a Capacitor
White Paper Overview
The increasing use of WBG semiconductor materials such as gallium nitride (GaN) and silicon carbide (SiC) in power converters has allowed for highly power-dense supplies with low switching losses and a higher efficiency during operation. However, the benefits of these fast switching transistors used within power converters can be limited if the effects of parasitics appearing at high frequencies are not considered.
This white paper provides an introduction to parasitics & illustrates how parasitics can impact passive components like capacitors, inductors, and resistors. Learn more about the LCR meter and how it is an excellent tool for this characterization.