Modor Intelligence Reports LithiumIon Battery Market is Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 2258January 13, 2020 by EE Power Editorial
Modor Intelligence Reports Lithium-Ion Battery Market is Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 22.58%.
The market for lithium-ion batteries is expected to register a compound annual growth rate of approximately 22.58%, during the forecast period. Major factors driving the market studied are the emergence of new and exciting markets, via electric vehicle and energy storage systems (ESS), for both commercial and residential applications, declining lithium-ion battery prices, and the increasing sale of consumer electronics. The increasing demand-supply mismatch of raw materials is likely to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- The automobile industry dominated the market in 2018 and is expected to grow during the forecast period, due to its high energy density, fast recharge capability, and high discharge power, owing to which, the lithium-ion batteries are the only available technology that is capable of meeting OEM requirements for vehicle driving range and charging time.
- Recycling of Li-ion batteries is expected to secure the supply of raw materials, such as lithium and cobalt, and reduce the reliance on extracting and refining materials from mineral resources. Recycling of lithium-ion batteries that are currently being used in electric vehicles offers an excellent opportunity for companies to utilize the refined constituent materials, for manufacturing lithium-ion batteries that are to be used for Energy Storage Systems (ESS).
- The penetration of lithium-ion batteries is growing in the industrial sector, globally, on account of expansion in industrial infrastructure, increasing economic viability of energy storage deployment, and growing need to reduce grid dependency for power supply.
- Encouraging incentives are taken by the governments, such as net metering, have encouraged the installation of rooftop solar PV systems. Battery storage is an important part of the rooftop solar PV power generation process, as solar energy is intermittent and unavailable during the night.
- Massive investments, predominantly in lithium-ion batteries, are driving down costs, while project developers are continuously getting better at designing and building customized storage systems, which is expected to further supplement the usage of battery-based energy storage systems.
Asia-Pacific is Expected to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the global market share, in 2018. With the increasing deployment of electric vehicles in countries, such as China and India, and the high demand for electronics with urbanization and increasing power purchase parity, the usage of lithium-ion batteries is expected to witness significant growth in the region.
- China is one of the largest markets for electric vehicles, and the increasing adoption of electric vehicles in the country has been in line with the clean energy policy. Moreover, the Government of China has been providing both financial and non-financial incentives to promote the adoption of electric vehicles.
- Favorable policies, such as the energy efficiency standards, and increasing peak demand charges and technological advances, have led to the commercial and industrial (C&I) sector receiving more attention from project developers, primarily driven by strong growth in China and India, which, in turn, is expected to drive the demand for lithium-ion-based energy storage systems in the region.
The lithium-ion battery market is fragmented, with several global and regional players contesting for attention in a fairly-contested market space. The major companies include Panasonic Corporation, Tesla Inc., Samsung SDI, LG Chem Ltd, and Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Ltd (CATL).
About Mordor Intelligence
Mordor Intelligence provides market intelligence and advisory services that empower enterprises to shape their strategic decisions. With a strong team of in-house experts and a host of industry tie-ups, Mordor offers syndicated and custom market intelligence services that have helped more than 700 clients gain an edge over their competition. Mordor's expertise lies in niche analysis with quick turnaround time, making it the preferred choice for startups as well as Fortune 500 organizations
Download a Free Sample of the report on the Lithium-Ion Battery Market.