Heat Dissipation and Power Loss — Searching for Explanatory Help

M

Mateas Winston

What is the difference between using the term "heat dissipation" and "power loss?" I know that they are quite similar, but I also know that I might be using them interchangeably and wanted to know your thoughts as engineers who have worked in the field for longer.

Thanks for your help. I know it's a simple question, but one I thought would create good conversation and help me settle the debate once and for all.

D
Heat dissipation is more common that power loss. Power loss usually occurs more in the product. And there you'll want a very low number.

Cheers,

M

Mateas Winston

I'm going to assume that power loss always results in heat dissipation. That's probably why I've been confused.

Another question — would this really matter all that much in the control cabinet that runs a machine. I would think that you should be more concerned about how much wattage is being lost from that. What would then potentially cause power loss in the electric motor drives I'm working with?

Thanks.

D
Whenever electricity flows through nearly anything other than a superconductor, the power can be lost and thus heat is being produced.

This is because the current flowing through the conductor resistance is equal to the current squared multiplied by resistance. If electrons are mobile enough, then you'll have less resistance and less loss of power.