5V 5-8amp psu

J

jtedd99

Hi all,

Im new to the site. Ive been building a light stick used in lightpainting. It runs from 5Volt and i though I had this sussed but the device I got just cant manage it.

Im using 7.2volt lipo to supply power and currently used a ubec to convert to 5volt. At full brightness and all leds on it sucking upto 4-5 amps at 5volt. I after some ideas to build a psu that can talk say 6-12 volt in and provide a regulated 5volt at 5-8 amps.

Everything I can find seems to be 3amps max nnd after that seem to be mains input. Your help very much appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome!

Why would you use a battery to power a Universal Battery Eliminator Circuit (had to Google that one)?

Give us more information on the type of LEDs being driven.

For 5-8 amps, you'll want to use a switching regulator. For 5V output for a 6-12V input, you'll need a buck boost configuration. If you want to go that route, Google it and come back with any questions.

You can buy these ready-made for £5 /$8, no point making your own,, one option is use a computer psu Atx.

The ubec is from the rc world and used to power the radio equipment from the up 23volt lipos they use for the motors. It was a quick option but is just not man enough.

The leds are the ws2812b rgb. building a pixel stick type thing. It had 288leds so with full white thats 3x 288 or each colour.

Does anyone have a link to some? Most I can find are 3 amp. A computer psu will require mains input and this is a portable unit hence needing dc-dc

Thanks